Table of Contents
Saudi Cabinet has approved the Iqama issuance, work permit issuance, work permit renewal, and Iqama renewal for 3, 6, and 9 months i.e. on a quarterly basis.
It means that the employer has the option to renew the Iqama either on a quarterly basis or on an annual basis as per the currently implemented system.
Note: Quarterly payments are not available to domestic workers.
Pay Iqama Renewal Fee for 3 months
Iqama Renewal Fee
In order to renew Iqama for 3 months, you need to pay the Iqama renewal fee for the same period.
- Iqama Renewal Fee for 3 months: SR 163.
- Iqama Renewal Fee for 6 months: SR 325.
- Iqama Renewal Fee for 9 months: SR 488.
- Iqama Renewal Fee for 1 year: SR 650.
- Pay Iqama Renewal Fee.
In order to renew Iqama for 3 months, you need to pay the dependent fee for the same period.
- Dependent Fee for 3 months: SR 1,200/dependent.
- Dependent Fee for 6 months: SR 2,400/dependent.
- Dependent Fee for 9 months: SR 3,600/dependent.
- Dependent Fee for 1 year: SR 4,800/dependent.
- Pay Dependent fee for 3 months.
Maktab Amal Fee
Similarly, the employer is required to pay the Maktab Amal fee for at least 3 months for the Iqama renwal.
- Maktab Amal fee for 3 months: SR 2,400.
- Maktab Amal fee for 6 months: SR 4,800.
- Maktab Amal fee for 9 months: SR 7,200.
- Maktab Amal fee for 1 year: SR 9,600.
- Pay Maktab Amal fee for 3 months.
Process for Iqama renewal for 3 months
The process for Iqama renewal for 3 months is quite similar to the normal iqama renewal;
- Meet all the requirements to renew Iqama.
- Talk to the GRO of your company about your intention for the Iqama renewal for only 3, 6, or 9 months.
- Employer will login to Muqeem https://muqeem.sa/#/login
- Click on “المعاملات الإلكترونية“.
- Select “تجديد الإقامة“.
- Enter the security code sent on mobile.
On the next page;
- Enter the Iqama Number.
- Select the duration of Iqama renewal i.e. 3 months.
- Click on the “Submit” button.
- That’s it, your Iqama has been renewed for 3 months.
Rules related to 3 months Iqama renewal
- Your Iqama is linked with your family Iqama, you cannot renew your Iqama for 12 months and your family iqama is renewed for 3 months.
- The current decision of quarterly iqama renewal is not applicable to domestic workers.
Is it good or bad for expats?
I believe that the decision for the quarterly iqama renewal in Saudi Arabia is very good for both employers and expats for the following reasons;
1 – The quarterly renewal of Iqama is optional, not mandatory. Therefore, if you are not comfortable with it, you can continue with the current system.
2 – Sometimes employers renew the Iqama of employees and when the employee resigns, they ask to pay off the Iqama renewal fee paid by employees. With the option to quarterly renew Iqama, the employee can request to renew it only for 3 months if he is planning to resign.
Source: Ministry of Interior.