Table of Contents
Prophet Muhammad ﷺ declared his 10 Sahabas رضي الله عنهم Jannati in a sitting due to which they are called Ashra Mubashara (العشرة المبشرة).
Names of Ashra Mubashara
These 10 Sahabas made commendable sacrifices for the sake of Islam and thereby were rewarded with the good news. The names of these 10 Sahabas are;
- Abu Bakar رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ
- Umar bin Khattab رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ
- Uthman bin Affan رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ
- Ali bin Abi Talib رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ
- Talha ibn Ubaidullah رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْه
- Zubair ibn-e-Awam رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْه
- Abdul Rehmanibn-e-Auf رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ
- Saad ibn-e-Abi Waqas رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ
- Saeed ibn-e-Zaid رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ
- Abu ‘Ubaidah bin Al-Jarrah رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ
Prophet Muhammad ﷺ said in a Hadith: “Abu Bakr is in Paradise, ‘Umar is in Paradise, ‘Uthman is in Paradise, ‘Ali is in Paradise, Talhah is in Paradise, Az-Zubair is in Paradise, ‘Abdur-Rahman bin ‘Awf is in Paradise, Sa’d bin Abi Waqqas is in Paradise, Sa’eed bin Zaid is in Paradise, and Abu ‘Ubaidah bin Al-Jarrah is in Paradise.” – Jami` at-Tirmidhi 3747
Why only 10 Sahabas?
By no doubt, all the companions of Prophet Muhammad ﷺ had made commendable sacrifices for the sake of Islam. Yet these 10 Sahabas have been with Prophet Muhammad ﷺ since the beginning by;
- Accepting Islam in the initial years.
- Migrating for the sake of Islam.
- Taking part in the battle of Badr.
- For the treaty of hudaibiya, they swore upon the loyalty of Prophet Muhammad ﷺ.
Allah ﷻ states in the Quran: Those of you who donated and fought before the victory ˹over Mecca˺ are unparalleled. They are far greater in rank than those who donated and fought afterward. – Al-Hadid 57-10
What is special in Ashra Mubashara?
Prophet Muhammad ﷺ said to Abu Bakr رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ “You are my companion at the Hawd-e-Kausar and my companion in the cave.” – Jami` at-Tirmidhi 3670
Umar bin Khattab
Prophet Muhammad ﷺ said: If there was to have a Prophet after me, it would have been ‘Umar bin Al-Khattab.” – Jami` at-Tirmidhi 3686
Uthman bin Affan
Abu Bakr رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ , Umar رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ , and ‘Uthman رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ climbed Uhud (mountain) and it started shaking during the battle of Uhud.
Prophet Muhammad ﷺ said “Be firm O Uhud! For there is none upon you except a Prophet, a Siddiq, and two martyrs.” – Jami`at-Tirmidhi 3697
Ali bin Abi Talib
Prophet Muhammad ﷺ said: Indeed Allah has ordered me to love four, and He informed me that He loves them. ‘Ali is among them.” – Jami`at-Tirmidhi 3718
Talha ibn Ubaidullah
Prophet Muhammad ﷺ said: Whoever would be pleased to look at a martyr walking upon the face of the earth, then let him look at Talhah bin ‘Ubaidullah.” – Jami` at-Tirmidhi 3739
Prophet Muhammad ﷺ said: Indeed, every Prophet has a Hawari and my Hawari is Az-Zubair bin Al-‘Awwam.” – Jami` at-Tirmidhi 3745
Abdul Rahman bin Awf
‘Abdur-Rahman bin ‘Awf left a garden for the Mothers of the Believers امہات المومنین that was sold for four-hundred thousand. – Jami` at-Tirmidhi 3750
Saad Ibn Abi Waqas
Prophet Muhammad ﷺ said: “O Allah, respond to Saad when he supplicates to You.” – Jami` at-Tirmidhi 3751
Saad ibn-e-Abi Waqas رضي الله عنه and Saeed ibn Zayd رضي الله عنه both died outside the boundaries of Madina. However, they had requested people to move their bodies to Madina to bury them in Jannat ul Baqi.
Saeed ibn Zaid
Once Prophet Muhammad ﷺ, Abu Bakr رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ and Saeed ibn Zaid رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ were on Hira when He said: Stand firm, O Hira’, for there is no one upon you but a Prophet, a Siddiq or a martyr.’ – Sunan Ibn Majah 134
Abu ‘Ubaidah bin Al-Jarrah
- Aisha رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ said: Abu Bakr رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ.
- Then Omer bin Khattab رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ.
- Then Abu ‘Ubaidah bin Al-Jarrah رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ.
- Jami` at-Tirmidhi 3657