Table of Contents
Many of us don’t know that Uthman bin Affan رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ died while reciting the Holy Quran. How did it happen? Read below.
Who was Uthman bin Affan?
Uthman bin Affan رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ was the third caliph of Islam who ruled for around 12 years. He was among 10 Jannati Sahabi of Islam called Ashra Mubashara.
He married the daughter Prophet Muhammad ﷺ Ruqayya and following her death, to another of the Prophet’s daughters Umm Kulthum.
Siege of Uthman
The politics of Egypt played a major role in the propaganda war against the caliph. Around 1,000 Egyptian rebels were sent to Madina with the instruction to kill Uthman bin Affan رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ.
They seized him in his house in Madina for 40 days and stopped the supply of food.
Dream of Uthman
On the 40th night, he saw a dream where Prophet Muhammad ﷺ visited him and said: “O Uthman since you have been fasting for 40 days now, you shall break this fast with us.”
It was evident on Uthman رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ that he would die the very day. He asked his guards to not shed blood for him.
The death of Uthman
On the 18th of Dhul Hijjah, 35 AH, he was reciting the Holy Quran when Muhammad Ibn Abi Bakr broke into the house and caught him by his beard. Uthman رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ asked him to leave his beard as his father (attacker’s father) used to honor it. Ashamed by these words, he left.
Soon two other rebels were able to come inside the house and stab the caliph brutally. Uthman رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ raised his hand to protect himself and his hand was cut down, and that time he said: I swear by Allah, the hand that you have just cut off, it was the first hand to write the Quran!
They stabbed Uthman رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ multiple times so that he would not be able to escape death. In this process, his wife Nailah رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ was also injured. Uthman bin Affan رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ died while reciting the following verse of the Holy Quran.
- Allah is sufficient for you and for the believers who follow you. – Al-Anfal 8:64
The dream of Hassan
Hasan رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ saw Prophet Muhammad ﷺ in the dream. Prophet Muhammad ﷺ was standing by the throne of Allah Almighty and was looking very worried.
- Then, from behind, Abu Bakr رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ came and placed his hand on the Prophet’s shoulder.
- Then Umar رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ came and placed his hand on the shoulders of Abu Bakr رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ.
- In the dream, shortly Uthman رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ came with his head in his hand covered in blood and said: “O Messenger of Allah, ask these people for what sin did they butcher me like a cow?”
- This was the very day when sahabi Uthman bin Affan رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ was killed reciting the Holy Quran.
It was then that the throne of Allah began to shake and two streams of blood came down from the throne.