Table of Contents
As per Islamic laws, all Non-Muslims, including Hindus, Christians, and Jews, are not allowed to enter Makkah. Can Non-Muslims enter Madina?
If you have ever been to Saudi Arabia, you must have seen the traffic boards instructing diversion for Non-Muslims before entering Makkah.
Embassies of different countries operating in Saudi Arabia advise their Non-Muslim citizens that they are not allowed to enter Mecca.
Why Hindus are not allowed in Mecca?
“O you who believe, the Mushriks (polytheists) are impure indeed, so let them not approach Al-Masjid-ul-Harām after this year”. At-Tawba 9:28
As you can see, the Holy Quran only prohibits polytheists, including Hindus, from entering Makkah. Mushriks are those people who believe in and worship more than one god.
- Christians and Jews are not polytheists, so why are they barred?
- The Holy Quran only restricts entry to Makkah, so why the entry of Non-Muslims to Madina was banned?
Why Christians and Jews are not allowed?
By definition, Christians and Jews are not polytheists, so why are they not allowed to enter Meccan and Madina? The answer is given in the Holy Quran.
The Jews say, “Prophet Uzair عَلَيْهِ ٱلسَّلَامُ is the Son of Allah,” and the Christians say, “Prophet Isa عَلَيْهِ ٱلسَّلَامُ is the Son of Allah.” – At-Tawba 9:30
In other words, the Jews and Christians also come under the category of Mushriks.
Can Non-Muslims enter Madina?
During the time of Prophet Muhammad ﷺ and four caliphs of Islam, many ambassadors from non-Muslim states used to come to Madina. It shows that the entry of Non-Muslims to Madina was not banned then.
Later on, due to security concerns, the Muslim governments stopped the entry of all Non-Muslims to both Makkah and Madina. The practice has been continuing for centuries.
However, recently, the Saudi government has allowed Non-Muslims to enter the city of Madina, but they cannot enter Masjid al-Nabawi.
What happens if a non-muslim enters Mecca?
If a Hindu or Non-Muslim is caught entering Makkah;
- He will be investigated and prosecuted.
- The judge will decide on his punishment based on his intentions.
- The maximum punishment could be the death penalty if he is involved in terrorist acts.
- The minimum punishment is a warning.
Any incidents of Non-Muslims entering Makkah?
We have covered some incidents when Non-Muslims entered Makkah and Madina.
- Saudi arrested for taking a Non-Muslim to Makkah
- What happened when a Non-Muslim couple entered Makkah?
- Did Ben Tzion, an Israeli Jew visit Madina?
Islam is not the only religion that restricts access
Islam is not the only religion that restricts the access of Non-believers to its holy sites.
- The LDS (Latter Day Saints of Jesus Christ) “Monmons” restrict access to their major “Churches” to members in good standing. The local worship centers are open to anyone.
- There are around 9 Hindu Temples in India where Non-Hindus are not allowed to enter.
It should be kept in mind that Non-Muslims, including Hindus, are allowed to enter any Masjid of the world except Makkah and Masjid al Nabawi in Madina.
Dr. Zakir Naik: As we need a visa to enter any country of the world, one of the visa requirements to enter Mecca is to be a Muslim.