Table of Contents
We know that Prophet Muhammad ﷺ was the most calm and composed man the earth has ever seen. Yet, there were sometimes when Prophet Muhammad ﷺ got angry with other men. Here are the eight instances;
Making the mosque dirty
Prophet Muhammad ﷺ saw some sputum in the prayer direction of the mosque, and he became so angry that his face turned red.
Then a woman from among the Ansar came, scraped it off, and put some Khaluq on that spot.
- Prophet Muhammad ﷺ said: “How good this is.” – Sunan Ibn Majah 762
Love for daughter Fatima
Men wearing Saffron Color
Once Abdullah bin ‘Amr رضي الله عنه came to Prophet Muhammad ﷺ wearing two garments dyed with safflower.
- Prophet Muhammad ﷺ got angry and said: “Go and take them off.”
- Abdullah bin ‘Amr رضي الله عنه said: “Where should I throw them, O Messenger of Allah?”
- Prophet Muhammad ﷺ said: “In the fire.”
- Sunan an-Nasa’i 5317
Men wearing Silk
Ali Ibn Talib رضي الله عنه said: A robe containing silk was presented to Prophet Muhammad ﷺ. He then sent it to me. I wore it and came to him. I saw him looking angry in his face.
Prophet Muhammad ﷺ then said: I did not send it to you to wear. He ordered me, and I divided it among my women. – Sunan Abi Dawud 4043
Blaming him for not being Just
Once, Prophet Muhammad ﷺ distributed something among Sahaba.
A man said, “This distribution has not been done (with justice) seeking Allah’s Countenance.”
- Prophet Muhammad ﷺ became so angry that I saw the signs of anger on his face.
- Then he said: May Allah bestow His Mercy on Prophet Musa عليه السلام, for he was harmed more (in a worse manner) than this, yet he endured patiently.
- Sahih al-Bukhari 3405
Leading Long Salah
A man came to Prophet Muhammad ﷺ and said: “I join the morning Salah late because of so-and-so who leads it and prolongs it.”
Prophet Muhammad ﷺ got angry and said, “Some of you create hatred among the people against faith. Whoever leads Salah should make it brief because the congregation includes old men and youngsters and those who have some urgent work to do.” – Sahih Muslim 466
Asking Useless questions
Prophet Muhammad ﷺ was asked about things that he disliked, and when the people asked too many questions, he became angry and said, “Ask me (any question).”
- A man got up and said, Who is my father?
- Prophet Muhammad ﷺ replied, “Your father is Hudhaifa.”
- Then another man got up and said, Who is my father?
- Prophet Muhammad ﷺ said, “Your father is Salim, Maula Shaiba.”
- When Umar bin Khattab رضي الله عنه saw the signs of anger on the face of Prophet Muhammad ﷺ, he said, “We repent to Allah.”
- Sahih al-Bukhari 7291.
The most fearful of Allah
A man said to Prophet Muhammad ﷺ, you are not like us; Allah has forgiven you your past and future sins.
Prophet Muhammad ﷺ became angry and said: I swear by Allah, I hope I shall be the most fearful of you of Allah, and most familiar of you with what I follow. – Sunan Abi Dawud 2389