Table of Contents
Historians believe that the grave of Prophet Adam عَلَيْهِ ٱلسَّلَامُ is in one of the following 3 locations/countries. We believe that Hazrat Adam عَلَيْهِ ٱلسَّلَامُ is buried in Makkah, Saudi Arabia.
Is Prophet Adam grave in Sri Lanka?
People often believe that the grave of Hazrat Adam عَلَيْهِ ٱلسَّلَامُ is in Sri Lanka because the first footprint of Prophet Adam عَلَيْهِ ٱلسَّلَامُ can be found in Sri Lanka on Adam’s peak.
However, this is not supported by any legitimate claim or authentic information. Moreover, nobody knows where in Sri Lanka the grave is located if there is one.
Wadi Us-Salaam, Najaf, Iraq
Shia Muslims believe that Prophet Adam عَلَيْهِ ٱلسَّلَامُ is buried in Wadi Us-Salam in Najaf, Iraq alongside Ali ibn Abi Talib رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ and Hazrat Noah عَلَيْهِ ٱلسَّلَامُ.
Abu Basir says that he asked Imam Sadiq رحمة الله عليه where Ali ibn abi Talib رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ was buried.
- He replied: At the grave of his father Prophet Noah عَلَيْهِ ٱلسَّلَامُ.
- Abu Basir asked where Prophet Noah عَلَيْهِ ٱلسَّلَامُ grave was and that the people say it is in the masjid of Kufa.
- Imam Sadiq رحمة الله عليه said: “No it is located behind Kufa”.
- Source: Wasa’elul-Shia, vol. 14, pg. 386, hadith 1943
Wadi Us-Salam is the biggest cemetery globally with 1500 acres where around 70,000 prophets are buried. It is located about 10 kilometers from Masjid Kufa as referred to above.
Mount Qubais, Makkah
At Tabari believes that Hazrat Adam عليه السلام breathed his last at the foot of the mountain and thereby was buried there. Omar Mahmood writes in his book that the grave of Prophet Adam عليه السلام is near Jabal Abu Qubais in Makkah, Saudi Arabia.
- Source: Muhammad, an Evolution of God
It is also supported by the fact that the grave of Hazrat Hawwa عَلَيْهِ ٱلسَّلَامُ is also located in Jeddah. The distance between mount Abu Qubais, the burial site of Prophet Adam عليه السلام and the grave of Hawwa is only 70 km.
- Hazrat Hawwa grave location.
It is important to note that neither the Holy Quran nor Hadith sheds any light on the exact location of the grave of Prophet Adam عَلَيْهِ ٱلسَّلَامُ.
- The above claims are reported by different historians and could be incorrect.
- There is also the problem that within a few hundred years after the death of Prophet Adam عَلَيْهِ ٱلسَّلَامُ, the Great Flood occurred in which only Prophet Noah’s ship survived. The flood might have destroyed the grave.
- Only Allah ﷻ knows what is correct.