Table of Contents
Historians believe that the grave of Prophet Adam عَلَيْهِ ٱلسَّلَامُ is in one of the following 3 locations/countries. We believe that Hazrat Adam عَلَيْهِ ٱلسَّلَامُ is buried in Makkah, Saudi Arabia.
Prophet Adam عليه السلام was the first person on the earth, the first Nabi, and the first Rasool of Allah.
Prophet Adam in this world
It is believed that Prophet Adam عَلَيْهِ ٱلسَّلَامُ was sent down to this world from the heavens in 4004 BC in present-day Sri Lanka and died in 3054 BC at the age of 950 years. Prophet Muhammad ﷺ was born in the 81st generation of Prophet Adam عليه السلام.
According to a Hadith, the height of Prophet Adam was 60 cubits. – Sahih Muslim 2841
According to the book Qisas al-Anbiya, Prophet Adam عَلَيْهِ ٱلسَّلَامُ lived in the heavens/Jannah for almost 100 years.
Prophet Adam in Quran
The name of Prophet Adam عَلَيْهِ ٱلسَّلَامُ is mentioned 25 times in the Holy Quran at different places.
Prophet Adam Children
Prophet Adam عليه السلام had 240 sons and daughters out of which three are quite famous.
- Qabil was the first son of Adam born when he was 64 years old.
- Habil was born when Adam was 77 years old.
- Prophet Sheeth عليه السلام was born when Adam was 130 years old.
- Qalima was the first daughter of Adam born with Qabil.
- Abdul Mughees and Ummul Mughees (twins) were the last children of Prophet Adam.
Is Prophet Adam grave in Sri Lanka?
People often believe that the grave of Hazrat Adam عَلَيْهِ ٱلسَّلَامُ is in Sri Lanka because the first footprint of Prophet Adam عَلَيْهِ ٱلسَّلَامُ can be found in Sri Lanka on Adam’s peak.
However, this is not supported by any legitimate claim or authentic information. Moreover, nobody knows where in Sri Lanka the grave is located if there is one.
Wadi Us-Salaam, Najaf, Iraq
Abu Basir says that he asked Imam Sadiq رحمة الله عليه where Ali ibn abi Talib رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ was buried.
- He replied: At the grave of his father Prophet Noah عَلَيْهِ ٱلسَّلَامُ.
- Abu Basir asked where Prophet Noah عَلَيْهِ ٱلسَّلَامُ grave was and the people say it is in the masjid of Kufa.
- Imam Sadiq رحمة الله عليه said: “No it is located behind Kufa”.
- Source: Wasa’elul-Shia, vol. 14, pg. 386, hadith 1943
Wadi Us-Salam is the biggest cemetery globally, with 1500 acres where around 70,000 prophets are buried. It is located about 10 kilometers from Masjid Kufa, as referred to above.
Masjid Khalil, Palestine
Jews believe that Prophet Adam عَلَيْهِ ٱلسَّلَامُ and Hazrat Hawwa عَلَيْهِ ٱلسَّلَامُ are buried in Masjid Khalil in Palestine along with four other prophets;
- Prophet Ibrahim عَلَيْهِ ٱلسَّلَامُ.
- Prophet Ishaq عَلَيْهِ ٱلسَّلَامُ.
- Prophet Yaqub عَلَيْهِ ٱلسَّلَامُ.
- Prophet Yusuf عَلَيْهِ ٱلسَّلَامُ.
Mount Qubais, Makkah
At-Tabari believes that Hazrat Adam عليه السلام breathed his last at the foot of the mountain and thereby was buried there. Omar Mahmood writes in his book that the grave of Prophet Adam عليه السلام is near Jabal Abu Qubais in Makkah, Saudi Arabia.
- Source: Muhammad, an Evolution of God
It is also supported by the fact that the grave of Hazrat Hawwa عَلَيْهِ ٱلسَّلَامُ is also located in Jeddah. The distance between Mount Abu Qubais, the burial site of Prophet Adam عليه السلام, and the grave of Hawwa is only 70 km.
- Hazrat Hawwa grave location.
It is important to note that neither the Holy Quran nor Hadith sheds any light on the exact location of the grave of Prophet Adam عَلَيْهِ ٱلسَّلَامُ.
- Different historians report the above claims and could be incorrect.
- There is also the problem that within a few hundred years after the death of Prophet Adam عَلَيْهِ ٱلسَّلَامُ, the Great Flood occurred in which only Prophet Noah’s ship survived. The flood might have destroyed the grave.
- Only Allah ﷻ knows what is correct.