Table of Contents
Abha, with an elevation of 2,200 meters above the Red Sea has so many attractions, tourist spots, places to visit, and things to do that you need weeks to explore them.
What is the best time to go?
The weather in Abha remains pleasant in the spring, summer, and autumn but avoid going there in winter as it gets too chilly.
- Most of the tourist attractions in Abha are closed in winter.
- Book a hotel at Al Soudah mountain (reasons explained below).
The newly developed High City built at the place of Asir National Park is one of the best tourist spots to visit in Abha where you get swarmed by clouds and which feels magnificent.
The restaurants at the location charge obnoxiously high rates but the place pretty much doesn’t require you to stay way too long. You can enjoy the view of a valley from the other side of the High city.
- High City Location.
- Entry Fee: Free.
The iconic Green mountain of Abha provides an exotic view of the city and therefore, you should visit this place in the evening time and stay until night. The only way to reach the green mountain is through the cable car with around 20 mins ride.
- Green Mountain Cable Car Price: SR 70.
- Timing: 2 pm to 7 pm.
- Green Mountain Cable Car Location.
Abu Kheyal Park is another good place to visit in Abha with a high point and a panoramic view of the city. There are so many Jacaranda trees in Abha that color the park with purple blossoms, especially in Spring.
- Abu Kheyal Park Location.
- Abu Kheyal Park Entry Fee: Free.
If you are a tourist who wants to enjoy the vibrancy and charm of Abha, visit the place called Art Street at night time. You will find Jacandra trees on both sides of the street but make sure to come during the spring season.
- Art Street Location.
The Fog Walkway
The Fog Walkway is also called the cornice of Abha where most of the famous pictures with clouds are taken.
It is a great tourist attraction of Abha and when the weather is right, you will feel like walking on the clouds while on the fog walkway. There are some restaurants there where you can eat as well.
- Fog Walkway Location.
Al Raqdi Museum
Al Raqdi Museum is an excellent place with lots of heritage items displayed. If you want to buy some souvenirs, handlooms, handicrafts, this is the place to visit in Abha.
- Al Raqdi Museum Location.
- Al Raqdi Museum Entry Ticket: SR 20.
- Al Raqdi Museum Timing: 5 pm to 11 pm.
Al Muftaha Art Village
Al Muftaha Art village is one of the places to visit at night time in Abha as the shops merely open after Asr time. However, if you go in the daytime, you can take some amazing pictures with large-sized paintings.
- Al Muftaha Art Village Location.
Sightseeing Tourist Bus
If you are with children, one of the best things to do during your visit to Abha is a tour by sightseeing bus. The bus is operated by the Al Haqer company and operates only during the summer season. It will take you to many places around the city.
- Sightseeing Bus Location.
- Sightseeing Bus Ticket: SR 35.
Shamsan Ottoman Castle
Shamsan Ottoman Castle is located at merely a 10 minutes drive from Abha city center and therefore, you should visit this tourist spot.
However, for history lovers, the place is a total disappointment as it has not been preserved as it should have been.
- Shamsan Ottoman Castle Location.
Abha Lake Viewpoint
If you want to take some pictures with Abha Dam, the lake view is the place to visit during day time. You can also come here to capture the sunset view but it definitely not a place to come at night.
- Abha Lake Viewpoint location.
Al Rashid Mall
If you are still not tired of visiting the tourist attractions of Abha, head towards Al Rashid Mall. It is a newly built biggest shopping mall of Abha with an amazing food court, bowling, cinema and rides for children.
- Rashid Mall Location.
Souq al Thulatha
If you want to buy some local jewelry or souvenirs, make sure to visit the place called Souq Thulatha (Tuesday Market).
You will feel the Asir culture and find traditional clothes, spices, honey, and so much other local stuff.
- Souq Thulatha Location.
Head to the staple Abha hangout “Black Box” to feast your eyes on the colorful buildings and enjoy the delectable coffee and excitement that awaits in Khamis Mushayt.
There are indoor and outdoor seating for the cafe, air games for children, horses, and duck driving games in a swimming pool.
If you are looking for a place where you can relax in the beautiful vicinity with red roses aroma around, visit Rose Garden situated in Khamis Mushayat near Abha.
- Khamis Rose Garden Location.
- Khamis Rose Garden Entry Fee: SR 35/person.
Al Shahab Park
Al Sahab Park is located before Jabal Soudah if you are coming from the Abha side. The upside of the park is called clouds corniche and downsides where the market and huts including playing instruments installed it’s called Al Sahab Park.
The road of al Sahab park is narrow but two ways. It is a recommended place to visit in Abha only if you have a good vehicle and a good driving experience.
- Recommended Time: Around Asr time.
- Al Shahab Park Location.
Jabal Sawda is the highest point in Saudi Arabia with an elevation of around 3,000 meters above sea level and the most visited tourist spot in Abha.
If you have limited time to do only one thing in Abha, visit this mountain. In fact, I recommend booking a hotel here for the following reasons;
- Only 20 Km drive from Abha city.
- 5°C lower temperature.
- The neighborhood of clouds.
- Frequent rain.
- Hotel Ayaam Location: SR 300/night.
Al Soudah Cable Car
If you are not sitting in the other two cable cars (Green Mountain, Al Habala) or running short of things to do in Abha, visit Al Soudah Cable Car.
This is a unique experience as they go from a very high point towards the down station. These cable cars go very steep when going down and are worth the experience.
- Al Soudah Cable Car Price: SR 80/person or SR 450/cable car.
- Timing: 10:00 am to 2:00 PM.
- Al Soudah Cable Car Location.
Paragliding in Abha
If you’ve got the will and determination, the most adventurous thing to do in Abha is paragliding. Challenge yourself and put yourself up to adventures!
- Paragliding Ticket Price: SR 400/person.
- Paragliding Location in Abha.
Rijal Alma village
At around 1.5 hours drive from Abha, lies a 1,000 years old UNESCO World Heritage Site, Rijal Alma or the Stone Village. Your visit to Abha is incomplete without visiting the most visited tourist attraction.
The road to Rijal Alma is quite steep so your car must be in a good condition to drive to this place.
- Rijal Alma Location.
- Rijal Alma Ticket Price: SR 20/person.
Bees Tower Honey Refinery
Bees Tower Honey Refinery is a cafe located just a 10-minute drive away from Rijal Alma. You can drink a cup of coffee, enjoy the most amazing scenic beauty and buy pure honey from the place. There is a fan there in the cottage which looks like a wind power turbine.
- Bee Tower Honey Refinery Location.
Al Habala Village
Al Habala village also known as Hanging village is an adventurous tourist spot located at a distance of a 1-hour drive from Abha. It is best to visit early in the morning when the clouds are still suspended below the cliff to enjoy the clouds view.
- Al Habala Cable Car Ticket: SR 70/person.
- Free Parking.
- Al Habala Tourist Park Location.
Some Useful Tips
- Go and talk to the locals, you’ll learn a lot from their beautiful culture and you’ll make a friend! People are generally nice here!
- Abha lies on a range of mountains so the WEATHER IS UNPREDICTABLE. Make sure you clothe up for the right weather!
- NOT MUCH TAXI/UBER- this was one of our struggles here especially at night when the city is so busy.
- Phone signals are unavailable on some roads if you’re visiting places outside the city.
- Bring your camera, I know phones come in handy but cameras are cameras for a reason.