Table of Contents
All expats working as accountants, auditors, and in finance jobs need the SOCPA membership for the issuance and renewal of the Iqama in Saudi Arabia. In this article, we have explained the procedure for SOCPA registration in detail.
SOCPA Membership Requirements
- Passport size photo.
- Scanned copy of the degree.
- Copy of valid Iqama.
- Transcripts/Marksheet (optional).
- Copy of Passport.
- SOCPA authorization letter.
The degree requirement
What are the degrees acceptable for SOCPA membership? Here is the list.
- Bachelor or master’s degree in accounting.
- Post-secondary accounting diploma.
- SOCPA Certificate.
- A professional certificate from an approved IFAC body including but not limited to CPA USA, ICAEW, CICA, CA ANZ, ACCA, ICAP, CMA USA, ICMA Pak.
- Any bachelor’s degree with at least 15 academic hours in accounting. In case the academic hours are less than 15, you can register for exams as explained below.
The degree or certificate needs to be attested by the Saudi Embassy and Saudi Culture of the issuing country.
SOCPA Registration Process
First of all, open the website and click on the “New User” to start the SOCPA registration process.
On the next screen, you will have to fill the SOCPA registration form with your name, iqama number, email address, and phone number. After filling the form;
- Activate your account by clicking on the email.
- Login to your SOCPA account.
After the login, click on the “Membership and Professional registration” and then click on the “Membership Request” from the drop-down menu.
Step 1: Membership Info
On this screen, you will be given information about the SOCPA registration and membership, read through this page, and click on the “Next” button.
Step 2: Qualification
At this stage of SOCPA registration, you need to;
- Select the qualification.
- Enter the name of the university.
- Select the country where the university is situated.
- Enter the GPA or Grades.
- Select the Iqama profession.
Step 3: Attachment
Now you need to upload all the required documents for SOCPA membership. You can download the authorization letter from the given link, sign it, and upload it again in the system.
Step 4: Payment
On the fourth step, you need to make a payment of SR 840 which includes SR 525 subscription fee and SR 315 for the annual fee.
You can pay the SOCPA registration fee through debit or credit card, Mada card, or SADAD.
Once the fee is paid, you can click on the “Payment” and then “Paid bill” from the drop-down screen to get the invoice. You can submit the invoice to your employer and ask for reimbursement to try your luck.
Step 5: Temporary Accounting Technician
After the successful registration, the SOCPA will immediately issue you a temporary accounting technician certificate. You can click on the “Membership and Professional registration” and then “Dashboard” to download this certificate.
Keep in mind that you would be able to renew your Iqama or transfer your sponsorship on the basis of this certificate.
Step 6: SOCPA Associate Member
After verifying your degrees uploaded at the time of registration, SOCPA will issue you an Associate Membership which means that you are a permanent member.
In my case, it took them around 6 months to verify my degree and convert the certification from temporary to Associate.
Sometimes SOCPA rejects applications with a comment that the applicant has less than 15 academic hours in accounting. In such a case, you can take a bachelor’s degree in accounting from any university in the world or take SOCPA exams.
In order to take SOCPA exams, click on the “Exam” and then “Registration” button. The per-subject fee for taking a SOCPA exam is;
- SR 1,000 for the first time.
- SR 500 for repeating the exam.
Professions required to register with SOCPA
- Internal Audit Director.
- Cost clerk.
- Cost Accountant.
- Finance clerk.
- General Accountant.
- Director zakat & taxes department.
- Internal auditor.
- Manager, accounts, and budget
- Senior Financial Auditor.
- Director G.A of reviewing.
- Director, financial, and accounting affairs.
- Auditor accounts.
- Accounts auditing technician.
- Director financial reports department.
- General Accounts technician.
- Chief of internal auditing programs.
- Financial Auditing Supervisor.
- Cost accounting technician.
- Financial Controller.