Table of Contents
Allah has sent 124,000 Prophets out of which one was Hazrat Zakariya عليه السلام who was a Nabi from Bani Israel.
- Biblical Name: Prophet Zachariah.
- Full Name: Zakariya Ibn Berechiah Ibn Iddo.
- Son: Prophet Yahya عليه السلام.
- He was born as a descendent of Prophet Sulaiman عليه السلام.
Prophet Zakariya Birth
Prophet Zakariya عليه السلام was born in 97 BC in present-day Palestine and died in 33 AD at the age of 130 years. He grew up working as a carpenter and spent a simple life.
Prophet Zakariya in Quran
The name of Prophet Zakariya عليه السلام is mentioned 7 times in the Holy Quran at different places.
Hazrat Zakariya عليه السلام was following the Sharia of Prophet Musa عليه السلام. He was a righteous and pious person. He was the in-charge of the Bait Ul Muqadas, the former Qiblah of the Muslims.
He tried his best to keep the people of Bani Israel on the right path.
Guardian of Maryam
There was a noble and pious man from Bani Israel with name Imran. The wife of Imran (Hannah) and the wife of Prophet Zakariya عليه السلام were sisters but both of them were barren.
The wife of Imran (Hannah) prayed to Allah to bless her with a child that she would dedicate to the temple. – Al-Imran 3:35
When she gave birth to a girl, she named her Maryam and dedicated her to the service of Bait-al-Maqdas under the guardianship of Prophet Zakariya عليه السلام.
Whenever Hazrat Zakariya عليه السلام visited her in the sanctuary, he found her supplied with provisions.
- He exclaimed: “O Maryam! Where did this come from?”
- She replied: “It is from Allah. Surely Allah provides for whoever He wills without limit.” – Al-Imran 3:37
Dua for Prophet Yahya
Prophet Zakariya عليه السلام kept on praying for a pious child until one day when he was 92 years.
- Angels said: O Zakariya Indeed, We give you the good news of ˹the birth of˺ a son, whose name will be Yahya—a name We have not given to anyone before.”
- Hazrat Zakariya عليه السلام said: How can I have a son when I am very old and my wife (Sarah) is barren?
- Angel replied said: So will it be. Allah does what He wills.
- Prophet said: Grant me a sign.
- Angel replied: Your sign is that you will not be able to speak to people for three days except through gestures. – Al-Imran 3:41
Birth of Prophet Yahya
Prophet Yahya عليه السلام was born in 5 BC when both his parents were quite old. It is said that his father Prophet Zakariya عليه السلام was 93 years old at that time.
One day when Prophet Yahya عليه السلام was quite young, children came to take him to play outside. He replied we did not come into the world to play. Allah gave him maturity from early childhood.
As Prophet Yahya عليه السلام grew older, he used to treat his parents with extreme love, care, and respect. – Maryam 19:14
Prophet Yahya lost and met
Ibn Asaker related that one time Prophet Zakariya عليه السلام and his wife were looking for Prophet Yahya عليه السلام and found him at the Jordan River. When they met him, they wept sorely, seeing his great devotion to Allah, Great, and Majestic.
Once Hazrat Zakariya عليه السلام did not see his son for 3 days. He found him weeping inside a grave that he had dug and in which he resided.
- Zakariya: “My son, I have been searching for you, and you are dwelling in this grave weeping!”
- Yahya: “O father, did you not tell me that between Paradise and Hell is only a span, and it will not be crossed except by tears of weepers?”
- Zakariya: “Weep then, my son.” Then they wept together.
Prophet Zakariya Death
There are two opinions about the death of Prophet Zakariya عليه السلام.
Some scholars say that when he was hiding inside a tree to save his life, the non-believers killed him with a saw by cutting the tree and the prophet of Allah into two pieces. However, the same incident took place with Prophet Isaiah عليه السلام and therefore, we believe that it is not correct.
Other scholars believe that Hazrat Zakariya عليه السلام died naturally in 33 AD at the age of 130 years in present-day Syria.
- Prophet Zakariya tomb location.