Table of Contents
There has been an active debate if Muslims can pray Duhr and Asr together as well as Maghrib and Isha prayer together. We have explained it in detail;
- Shia people pray for them together.
- Sunnis offer them separately.
- Both offer them together on Hajj.
The specified time for the Salah
Allah ﷻ has set the timing for each prayer and it is our duty to pray at the specified time. However, there are some exceptions to the rule which are explained below.
It is narrated in the Holy Quran: Establish regular prayers. Indeed, performing prayers is a duty of the believers at the appointed times. – An-Nisa 4:103
Duhr and Asr together without excuse
Shia people pray Duhr and Asr as well as Maghrib and Isha together quoting this Hadith.
Ibn Abbas رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ said that Prophet Muhammad ﷺ observed Zuhr and Asr prayers together, and Maghrib and Isha prayers together without being in a state of fear or in a state of journey. – Sahih Muslim 705a
- What made Him do that?
- Ibn Abbas رَضِيَ ٱللَّٰهُ عَنْهُ replied: He wanted not to make things difficult for his ummah.
Sunni scholars interpret this Hadith that Prophet Muhammad ﷺ put together the prayers because of some difficulties that occurred on that day, such as widespread sickness, severe cold or mud, and the like.
Maghrib and Isha together while traveling
Both Sunni and Shia Muslims believe that you can combine Duhr and Asr as well as Maghrib and Isha prayer together due to some excuse such as traveling or sickness.
Prophet Muhammad ﷺ used to offer the Zuhr and `Asr prayers together and also used to offer the Maghrib and `Isha’ prayers together while traveling. – Sahih al-Bukhari 1107
Praying Salah together on Hajj
Both Shia and Sunni Muslims pray;
- Duhr and Asr together on the day of Arafah. – Sahih al-Bukhari 1662
- Maghrib and Isha together on the night in Muzdalifah. – Sahih al-Bukhari 1683
When to offer prayers together?
You can offer Duhr at the time of Asr and Maghrib at the time of Isha but not vice versa.
Whenever Prophet Muhammad ﷺ started a journey before noon, he used to delay the Zuhr prayer till the time of `Asr and then offer them together. – Sahih al-Bukhari 1111
While traveling, Prophet Muhammad ﷺ used to delay the Maghrib prayer till he combined the evening and the night prayers when the twilight disappeared. – Sunan Abi Dawud 1219
Fajr, Duhr, Asr, Maghrib, and Isha prayers should be offered at their specified time.
- The prayers can be combined during traveling or due to sickness.
- Duhr can be offered at the time of Asr while traveling and not vice versa.
- On the 9th of Dhul Hijja, Hajj pilgrims must pray Duhr and Asr together in Arafah and Maghrib and Isha together at Muzdalifa.
For the latest updates, you can join our WhatsApp group or Telegram Channel.
Never pay the full price, join the Saudi Coupon Codes group and get sales updates and discount codes in one place.