You need to follow certain rules and procedures to rent a car as an Iqama holder, tourist, or visit visa holder from car rental companies, Here are the details;
The following are the requirements to rent a car in Saudi Arabia;
- Iqama for residents and passport for tourists.
- Valid Saudi Driving License / International Driving License for tourists.
- Credit / Debit Card.
- Absher Registration.
- Mobile Number registered with Absher.
Process to rent a car
While renting a car, make sure to take it from one of the renowned companies rather than from street vendors. There is a scam going on these days where the rent a car company registers a legal case to extort money. In order to rent a car as an iqama holder or as a tourist;
- It is better to book a car online from any of the car rental companies.
- Reach the office where the rental car is available.
- Present your Iqama and Saudi Driving License. (Passport + International Driving License for tourists).
- Pay for the time you have booked the car with a debit/credit card.
- Better to go for comprehensive insurance.
- Provide an OTP received on your mobile from TAMM.
- Now the car is registered in your name.
Check the car properly before receiving and take the pictures by your mobile and show it to the agent. Make sure the fuel tank is full as you will have to return it with the full fuel tank.
Returning the car
Make sure to reach the car rental company office before finishing your booked time to avoid paying an extra day of rent.
- Refill the fuel tank to full.
- Hand over the Iqama and keys to the front desk.
- One person will inspect the car.
- You will receive an SMS from TAMM informing you that the car is disassociated from your name.
- Don’t leave the office until you receive this SMS.
Rules to rent a car
The Transport General Authority of Saudi Arabia has issued a set of rules to be followed by the lessor and lessee at the time of renting a car in Suadi Arabia. You can download these rules from here.