Table of Contents
Masjid Nimrah located in the plains of Arafat, Makkah is one of the most famous mosques. We have listed down some facts about Masjid Nimra which will help you to enjoy your next visit to the Masjid. It is one of the most frequently visited Ziyarat places in Makkah.
Parts of Masjid Nimrah are out of Arafat
The masjid Nimrah was built in the second century of Islam. Now, some part of the Masjid Nimra is outside the Arafat. This is because Prophet Muhammad S.A.W delivered a sermon at Wadi Urana which is outside the boundaries of Arafat. So naturally, when the mosque was built this fact was taken into account.
After the Masjid Nimrah experienced extensions to house a large number of Muslims for salah, the Masjid was divided into two units. The first unit of Masjid Nimra is where the sermon was delivered i.e. outside the Arafat region while the second half rests inside the Arafat.
If anyone stays in the outer side of Masjid Nimrah his Hajj is not performed
Now as we know that during Hajj, the two prayers of Zuhr and Asar are to be offered together and the rest of the time has to be spent in Arafat plains.
It is important to know that the first half or the front section of Masjid Nimra is outside the boundaries of Arafat and if anyone stays there after midday to sunset his virtue becomes invalid and makes his Hajj incomplete.
In other words, you need to enter the plains of Arafat at least once between the midday and the sunset to complete the virtue of performing Hajj. That is why there are many signboards placed inside Masjid Nimrah telling Hajj pilgrims to stay in the second half of the masjid or head towards Arafat region after offering two prayers together.
The last sermon was delivered in Masjid Nimrah by Prophet Muhammad
Most of us are familiar with the last sermon of Prophet Muhammad S.A.W which he delivered when he performed his Hajj in 10 AH. He PBUH and 124,000 of Sahabas performed Hajj that year. On the 9th of Dhul Hijjah, Prophet Muhammad S.A.W camped at Arafat and spelled out the last sermon at wadi Urana at the same place where we have Masjid Nimrah today.
The last sermon is not only important as it was the last one, but also because before delivering the sermon the Muslims were asked listen to every word carefully and spread the message to those not present by Prophet Muhammad S.A.W. Here are a few points from the sermon which was delivered at the place where we have Masjid Nimrah in Makkah today.
- The life of every Muslim is a sacred trust.
- Indeed everyone shall meet Allah and Allah shall deal with him according to his deeds.
- Return whatever goods to those who entrusted you.
- Do not hold dealings that involve interest. Usury has been prohibited in Islam. One can get his capital back without earning interest on it.
- The devil shall astray one from the right path, therefore, beware of his evils. He is hopeless for leading you towards the wrong path in major things, yet he shall plan you to fall in his evil through minor and small things.
- Men have rights over their wives and so have women rights over their men. Be kind to women and treat them well if they give you all your due rights.
- The five pillars of Islam were recalled.
- Everyone is equal, there is no racism in Islam. The only Muslim superior is the one who is more pious.
- All Muslims constitute a brotherhood.
We have shared a video of insight of Masjid Nimrah below for those who have never visited this sacred place.
For the latest updates, you can join our WhatsApp group.