Table of Contents
The Saudi traffic police have started issuing traffic violation fines for children sitting in the front seat using cameras.
Children sitting in the front seat
It means that the traffic cameras installed to detect seatbelt and mobile phone usage violations will detect if a child is sitting in the front seat and automatically issue a traffic violation to the driver.
According to traffic rules;
- Children under the age of 10 are not allowed to sit in the front seat.
- The traffic violation fine for children sitting in the front seat ranges from SR 300 to SR 500.
- There is an additional fine of SR 150 to SR 300 if the child is not wearing a seatbelt.
- The fine is imposed even if the child is sitting in the lap of an adult.
However, children can sit in the front seat in cars that do not have backseats.
Children sitting without a car seat
Moreover, the traffic police have also been required to provide car safety seats to children before boarding the car.
- The traffic violation fine for children without a car safety seat ranges from SR 300 to SR 500.
It is noteworthy that car accidents are the number one killer of children between one and 12 years old in the Kingdom.
Muroor has instructed to hold manual field surveillance by traffic policemen to monitor any violations in this regard in those places where there are no electronic surveillance cameras.