Table of Contents
There are 2 fard, 2 Wajib acts and 2 Sunnah of performing Umrah. We have explained Umrah Faraiz and Wajibat in detail here.
Fard of Umrah
There are two fard acts of Umrah which means that if you miss any of these faraiz, the Umrah is not performed.
1- Entering the state of Ihram with the intention of performing Umrah after reciting the Talbiyah is a farz act of Umrah.
2- Performing Tawaf of the Holy Kaaba. Tawaf is circumambulating the Kaaba seven times is a fard act of Umrah.
Wajib of Umrah
There are 2 wajib acts of performing Umrah and if you miss any of them by mistake, you need give dum/fidya. Keep in mind, giving dum is only an option if you miss a wajib act of Umrah by mistake.
1- Performing Saee between the mounts of Safa and Marwa is a wajib act of Umrah. The Saee starts from the Mount Safa and ends at the mount Marwa. The pilgrim has to complete 7 rounds of Safa and Marwa and the walk between Safa to Marwa will be considered as one round.
2- Performing the Qasr or cutting your hair is another wajib of Umrah. Qasr for men and women are different.
- Men need to shave their head or cut their hair from the entire head.
- Female have to clip their hair from the bottom.
Sunnah of Umrah
There are many Sunnah acts of performing Umrah but we have selected the 3 most important ones.
1- To start the tawaf from the black stone i.e. Hajr-e-Aswad. Prophet Muhammad ﷺ used to recite the following dua whenever he passed by Hajr-e-Aswad: بسم الله والله اكبر
2- Doing Ramal while performing Tawaf.
3- Running among the two green lights during Saee of Mount Safa and Marwa.
Prophet Muhammad ﷺ arrived in Makkah, he entered the Masjid and touched Hajr-e-Aswad, then went to his right and performed Ramal (walking quickly) for three (circuits) and walking for four.
- Then he came to the Maqam Ibrahim and said: وَاتَّخِذُوا مِنْ مَقَامِ إِبْرَاهِيمَ مُصَلًّى
- Then he performed two Rak’ah while the Maqam was between him and the Kaaba.
- Then he came to Hajr-e-Aswad after the two Rak’ah to touch it, then he left to As-Safa and said: إِنَّ الصَّفَا وَالْمَرْوَةَ مِنْ شَعَائِرِ اللَّهِ.”
- – Jami` at-Tirmidhi 856