Table of Contents
In case of someone’s death in Saudi Arabia, his legal representatives could be entitled to some of the following 5 benefits or compensations. We have explained it in detail.
Death benefits in Saudi Arabia
End of Service Benefits
In case of the death of a worker, his employer in Saudi Arabia is responsible to pay him the full end of service benefits. You can use the End of Service Benefits Calculator to calculate the worker’s entitlement.
Death due to work injury
In case of death or permanent disability resulting from a work injury in Saudi Arabia, the employee or his legal heirs will get any of the following two benefits;
36 months salary
If the employer is not paying the GOSI contributions, the employee or his legal heirs will get 36 months’ total salary as per Article 138 of Saudi Labor Law.
- The minimum compensation is SR 54,000
- The benefits will be paid by the employer.
84 months salary
If the employer has been paying the GOSI contributions on time, the employee or his legal heirs will get 84 months’ (basic salary + housing allowance).
- The maximum compensation is SR 330,000.
- The benefits will be paid by the GOSI.
- You can get some other benefits from GOSI as well.
In the case of murder or accidental death in Saudi Arabia, the legal dependents of the employee are entitled to get benefits in terms of blood money.
- In case of a murder, the family of the deceased will decide the amount of blood money.
- In case of accidental death, the party who is at fault will pay SR 300,000 as blood money.
- However, if the police report concludes that the driver who died was at fault, there will be no blood money.
Some companies get life insurance for all of their employees. In case of the death of an employee inside or outside Saudi Arabia due to any reason, the employee gets some benefits depending upon the insurance policy.
Generally, life insurance companies pay 36 months of total wages to the employer who later transfers it to the legal dependents of the deceased employee.
I have noted that many employees are not aware of the life insurance policy taken by their company and therefore, it is better to check with the employer.
If an individual fails to pay a personal loan or credit card bills due to death or permanent disability, the bank must exempt him from the payment. The banks in Saudi Arabia cannot claim or deduct money from the deceased person’s bank account.
Claim death benefits through Embassy
In order to collect the End of Service Benefits and Blood Money resulting from death, the following process needs to be followed in Saudi Arabia.
Contact the Embassy/Consulate
In order to claim the death benefits of an employee, the legal family members of the deceased person should contact the Embassy or consulate and ask them the required process. In most of the cases, they will explain the following process.
Legal Heirship Certificate
The family members of the deceased person will have to provide for a legal heirship certificate which lists down all the legal heirs of the deceased person. The legal heir certificate should contain the names of family members and their relationship with the deceased person.
Moreover, it also needs to be attested by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Saudi Embassy in the home country.
Power of Attorney
Now all the legal heirs mentioned in the legal heirship certificate will issue the power of attorney in favor of a person/embassy for the court proceedings. It is always better to assign the embassy in such tasks.
The power of attorney needs to be attested by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Saudi Embassy in the home country.
Submit the documents
Now submit the above-mentioned two documents to the Embassy or consulate of your country in Saudi Arabia and they will do the rest of the process to claim death benefits.
Claim death benefits from GOSI
In case of death or permanent disability resulting from a work injury, the following process needs to be followed to claim benefits from GOSI.
- The employer will formally notify GOSI regarding the death of the employee along with the cause of the death as determined by the medical and police reports.
- GOSI will send a “legal beneficiaries form” which needs to be filled by the legal heirs of the deceased family member. The form must be stamped by the MOFA and Saudi Embassy in the home country.
- GOSI will calculate the death benefits resulting from the work injury in Saudi Arabia and send the cheque directly to the legal beneficiaries.