How to check if your Iqama is Transferable?

Iqama is basically a residence permit issued to those expatriates or expats who arrive in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia on an employment visa and this Iqama is valid for about a year or two after which, it has to be renewed again. There are several advantages of gaining an Iqama such as receiving a temporary residency card, male applicants can sponsor direct and blood-related family members and lastly, female applicants can also bring their family members to KSA on a 6-month visit visa!

Also Read:  Can I work for a company while I am under the sponsorship of my wife?

Certain important documents are required for an Iqama such as a completed visa application form, employment letter, visa letter and the Power of Attorney form (described in detail in the previous articles), 4 passport size photographs, a copy of the signed contract, police clearance report, medical reports and attested photocopies of the applicant’s degrees and certificates.

However, please note that the requirements of documents depend and vary country to country so please make sure to check with your country’s embassy beforehand. Now is your Iqama transferable or not? This is a very common question asked by expatriates working in Saudi Arabia. This is mainly because they want to work on their career or are clearly not happy with the current working environment.

One reason of this could also be low salary and more intensive hours of working. Now, after applying and being interviewed at a couple of places, the applicant is most likely to be asked if his/her Iqama is transferable or not?

So, to know the answer of this is VERY important for the applicant. To keep it simple, yes, all Iqamas are transferrable. It is just that some of the companies and organizations do not prefer giving out the release letters or the No Objection Certificate (NOC). Also, it somewhat depends on your profession. In most professions, you are supposed to complete a two-year contract after which you get your release letter or basically, get your Iqama transferred. If a two-year employment contract is completed, the whole Iqama transferring process is smooth and easy then if you ask them.

If they do not agree, they have all the rights to send you back to your country legally and no one can stop them from that. We have covered this issue in full detail in this link – Legal Right to Transfer the Sponsorship from Employer.

Also Read:  Procedure to transfer dependent children’s sponsorship from Father to Mother

Moreover, please remember that in some professions, the transfer of Iqama is not possible at all, for example, farmers cannot get their Iqama transferred. Lastly, discuss this courteously with your HR manager or main sponsor before asking for a transfer. Good luck!

  • Amin Ali Khan

    Dear Steve I am great fan of your page. I am reading since 2 years and its very informative.
    my sister is doctor who arranged visa for me. in profession its written brother of mahram (OOKH MAHRAM). I wanted to ask if i can change my visa to work visa, if yes what will be the cost and time needed. Thanks Steve

  • Brother, if you find a good job in KSA, you can transfer your sponsorship and later on change the profession as per your respective job

  • Malik Fawaz Ali

    Dear Steve,

    I am applying for a visa in Saudi arabia and my profession is (Kamil al amar) Can you please explain me whether can i transfer it or change the profession. I will be thankful.

    my email is
    [email protected]

  • dr aijaz

    Dear Steve I had applied for sponser change from my wife to company
    But today I saw in MOL website demand has been rejected
    Then I spoke to the company HR he told me dun relay on that information,you wil get new iqama with profession hangs in this week…can anyone please help me in this situation??

  • Shoaib Mashori

    Hello steve , i have a simple question which agamas are transferable or which are not transferable.

  • Shoaib Mashori

    And i am in madinah for 4 month. my kafeel was not making my agama initially. i cased against him in maktab amal but they give me date after one months. now i want to know how can i take nakal kafala from maktab amal i need now can not wait for 1 month . can i have to go to maktab amal before the fixed date..

error: Content is protected !!