Getting Married in Saudi Arabia (Wakeel has Iqama)

If you are intending to get married in Saudi Arabia, there is one thing crystal clear that the girl or boy with whom you want to get married is already in the Kingdom and must be Iqama holder. We assume here that you are a male. Obviously, we cannot help you in searching for your bride but we can guide you in detail for further procedures. There can be three types of marriages in Saudi Arabia. We have discussed in detail each one of them in this blog somewhere else. Here in this article, we shall discuss procedures assuming that bride’s sponsor (wakeel) is living in Saudi Arabia and has a valid residence permit. The requirements are different if the wakeel does not have a residence permit.

Following People Must be Present in Special Court: If you and your wife are of same nationality, this is perhaps the simplest marriage to perform. You don’t really need to do anything for this. You just need to go to the special court dealing only with marriages and divorces. If you are from different nationalities, you need to check from your embassy in Saudi Arabia. Normally, there are no requirements of countries. You need to go to the special court along with the Groom, the bride, the Bride’s Kafeel (Father, Brother etc) and 2 witnesses. It should be kept in mind that all of them should have the real residence permits (Iqama) with validity with them. If one of you is Egypt national, you need to bring your passport as well. It is better to take copies of all the required documents. Mahar is the money or any other item including gold and jewels gave by the groom to the bride as a gift. This money is the property of wife and wife has full discretion to spend it in any way as she wants. It is better to negotiate about the Mahar first.

Girl’s father will go to the first window and fill an application in Arabic. You can ask for the help of some other person if you are a handicap in Arabic.

In this application, he will have to write the name of the bride, his own name, the name of the groom and residence permit numbers of all of them. This application along with the residence permits of all above five members will be given to the guy in the first window. He will register you and ask about the Mahar.

Bride’s father will let them know about the agreed Mahar and your application will be electronically processed.

After this, you will be required to go to a secretary of Qazi. Secretary again, will check the accuracy of the electronically filed application and make sure that all the written names are as per residence permits. He will also make sure that above mentioned five persons are physically present in the hall. After that, he will ask you to wait for your turn in waiting area.

Groom’s name will be called after some time from the Qazi’s office so you need to be active that time. All five persons will enter into the room and Qazi will ask about all the persons individually.

He will ask groom and then bride about the marriage acceptance. He will also ask from the father of the bride, whether he has received the Mahar.

Here it is very important to know that bride’s father must say that he has received the Mahar. Otherwise, he will ask the groom to pay the Mahar first and then come for the marriage.

If everything goes fine, you will be congratulated by the Qazi. You will be given 3 copies of the marriage certificate duly stamped by them and an original marriage certificate.

These copies are very important since you will have to present them on numerous occasions to the authorities. We have discussed it in some other article. Enjoy your marriage!!!

Once you are done with this, you will have to go through the process of “Transfer of Wife's Sponsorship to your Name”. We have explained the procedure in this link.

You CAN get married now even if you are a dependent!  If the husband is under his Father's sponsorship then his wife cannot be transferred but the Marriage can take place and is valid. You can go to the special court (MOJ) for more information.

  • Jesseca

    Good day!
    Hi! I’m Jesseca. I saw your page randomly when i searched at google about interfaith marriage. I am a Catholic from Philippines and i have a Lebanese boyfriend who is Muslim, both currently working here in Riyad. We are planning to get married, more probably here in saudi. But the problem is we don’t how and where to start. Since i don’t have any plan of converting into Islam. It would be a big help if you can lend me a hand concerning with this problem of mine.
    Thank you and God bless always.

  • Although it is allowed for Muslim men to marry christian woman in Islam but I do not think Saudi courts will help you in this regard. It is better to go back to your country and marry there.

  • Rai

    Assalamualaikom just wanna ask how long does it takes to attest my wali documents from the philippines at the ministry here..i mean does it takes alot of time..thanks

  • Rai

    Please sir steve help me about this info..

  • Ruhul Amin

    Dear Steve,
    Please guide me, I am living in Saudi Arabia with Valid Iqama, and my fiancee is living in canada. if she come on visit or Umrah visa with her Mother and brother( Father Cannot travel due to health issues) to Saudi Arabia. Is it possible to conduct marriage here. They dont have Valid iqama etc.
    If it is possible then what will be procedure,

    I will be grateful,

  • Naseer Ahmed

    hi im naseer ahmed im here in jeddah need someone